Ok, just a chance to poke fun at myself for a bit. As a member of the United Cardinals Bloggers we were asked on March 25th to make predictions for the Major League baseball season. I did horrible for the most part but did get the NL Central correct. I don’t know why I put wins and losses because that makes me look even stupider.
I had Baltimore, Oakland and White Sox last. Oh boy.
As I looked at the others at United Cardinal Bloggers website I realized my predictions weren’t any more off than others. Here is what I wrote on March 25, 2012…. Have a laugh or three.
AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST
1.New York Yankees (99-63)
Now is the time as this team is getting old in baseball terms. Still they have the pitching to win it all with CC Sabathia and the addition of Andy Pettittie and Michael Pineda gives them the edge.
2. Tampa Bay Rays (91-71, wild card)
Maybe the best rotation in the American League
3. Boston Red Sox (89-73)
They will grab the most headlines with a manager that can’t keep his trap shut but they are still a worthy opponent but fall short in the AL East
4. Toronto Blue Jays (87-75)
This is a team on the rise and will surprise some teams.
5. Baltimore Orioles (72-90)
Weak all around.
AMERICAN LEAGUE CENTRAL
Detroit Tigers (100-62)
This team is as good as it can be. Rotation is very good and Cabrera and Fielder make this an offensive juggernaut.
Cleveland Indians (83-81)
Every other team in this division is relatively weak. The Indians have a mild resurgence going on.
Kansas City Royals (79-83)
The Royals appeared to be a team on the rise but still one more year away.
Minnesota Twins (73-89)
Ok, this team can be 15 teams better but until they show all is healthy and ready to win games Mauer and Morneau will remain household names in Minnesota.
Chicago White Sox (69-93)
Nothing to say here except it will be a long season for Robin Ventura. I actually would like to see them do better than this but they have little talent left.
AMERICAN LEAGUE WEST
I will buy into the Albert Pujols makes them better philosophy.
2. Rangers (93-63 wild card)
This team had a bittersweet off-season by winning the American League and then coming within one out of being the World Champions (twice) and now they must do it again. Josh Hamilton will be under a microscope. If they don’t come out of the gate winning I believe Ron Washington could get fired early in the season.
3. Mariners (78-84)
Meh. Probably a few games better than I think but nothing to make them elite.
4. A’s (66-96)
They can sign a dozen Cuban players this summer and they still finish in last place.
NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST
1. Phillies 96-66 – Simply a very good rotation with three that can carry them. they may struggle a bit with the injuries.
2. Miami- 89- 73 – Ozzie can motivate them for a year and simply they have made some stride for improvements.
3. Braves- 88-74 – Just miss out again and Chipper gets no more post-season.
4. Nationals- 80-82 – I want to believe but just not yet. 2014 might be their year.
5. Mets- 71- 91 – Abysmal and getting worse.
NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL
1. Reds – 92- 70 – Latos was a great addition. I know the closer went down by they have the parts to keep it going.
2. Cardinals 89-73 – Things have changed but still a very good team. Carpenter will be misses and LaRussa will be missed more than many will admit.
3. Brewers – 85-77 – Lucky for them Braun is available. This team may make more noise than I think they will.
4. Pirates – 80-82 – Still trying to make a resurrgence.
5. Cubs – 76-86 – New GM or not, you can’t change their stripes. Aramis will be missed.
6. Astros – 68-94 – Luhnow will try but not going to get them out of the cellar.
NATIONAL LEAGUE WEST
1. Rockies – 89-73 – This is a stretch for me but any team Tulo is on and CarGo has a chance
2. Giants – 87-75 – The trio of pitchers make them a formidable team
3. DBacks – 84-78 – I thought they over achieved last season
4. Dodgers – 79-83 – Kershaw has stuff but not enough offense to carry the team
5. Padres – 72- 90 – They are trending backwards.