Some assumptions. I know they get you in trouble. But I am used to that.
- Cardinals will carry 13 pitchers out of Spring Training
- They will have 2 catchers on the roster
- There will be 5 infielders selected from the 40 man roster
- Also five outfielders come from that list
- Spring Training brings surprises and injuries and trades.
- I am not right very often (ok, that is not an assumption but a fact)
Let’s look at the infielders that are currently on the 40 man roster.
Ok, I am keeping Pujols at first base. His back-up will likely be Lance Berkman.
I am getting rid of Cox, Kozma and Hamilton and say they need more time in the Minor Leagues.
Now we have six players for four spots. Theriot, Freese and Schumaker are in from previous years. Just sayin’ don’t shoot me over that.
Now it is Descalaso, Greene and Punto vying for the final spot.
Now I am adding here the fact that TLR may take six infielders due to the fact that Schumaker can play an outfield spot.
So we have two spots open. We need a lefthander so that makes it Daniel Descalso or Nick Punto. Punto is a switch hitter so he is in.
Descalso or Greene? Greene or Descalso? Of course Spiring Training is huge for these guys.
I believe, I know it is unbelievable that Tony may accept a youngster, but he goes with Descalso over Greene.
That is the way I see it.
Next time is the outfield.
Did I nail it?