How Will the St. Louis Cardinals Bullpen Shake Out in 2013?
With the Chris Carpenter news a couple of days away, let’s go over how the bullpen may shake out. I envision 3 scenarios that may take place.
- Scenario #1- Shelby Miller is in the rotation. Left for the bullpen will be:
- Motte, Boggs ,Rzcepczynski, Choate,Salas, Rosenthal, Mujica
- Scenario #2- Joe Kelly is in the rotation. Left for the bullpen will be:
- Motte, Boggs, Rzcepczynski, Choate, Rosenthal, Mujica, Salas
- Scenario #3- Trevor Rosenthal is in the rotation. Left for the bullpen will be:
- Motte, Boggs, Kelly, Salas, Mujica, Rzcepczynski, Choate
I believe it is possible that Maikel Cleto could beat Salas out of a spot.
What is the reasoning for this?
I believe the Cardinals will want either Joe Kelly or Shelby Miller to continue to start and be prepared to contribute to the major league club in that capacity. If Miller makes the rotation, then Kelly going to the pen would not be advantageous for that. The Same goes for Kelly at the MLB level, Miller needs to continue to start. No matter what happens, it is my belief that Shelby Miller will be in a rotation in St. Louis first and Memphis secondary. Thoughts?